Saturday, March 27, 2010

Magazine Bowls


I got the idea for this project at Art Projects for Kids. I mostly followed her directions, except I instructed my students to watch the shape of their circle and plan the shape of their completed project. I didn't want them all to end up being bowls, so my examples had lots of different shapes. One with a ridge, one that was high on one side and low on the other, etc. I pointed out that the middle of the roll is fatter than the ends, so if that part of the roll is consistently on the same side of the circle, the middle will be off-center. If that's what they want, great. If it's not, then they have to think about where the fatter part will fall on the circle while wrapping it.


They were asked to make their circle a minimum of 5" in diameter before creating their form. When it was at least 5" and they decided they wanted to stop, they created their desired form and then Mod Podged the inside of the bowl first. Next class, they flipped it over and Mod Podged a small paper with their name on it to the bottom of the bowl.



This is another project for our recycled Art Show.


No comments: